We use the verbs PLAY, GO and DO with sports and activities.
If we use a ball in the sport, we use PLAY. PLAY is used also for competitive games when we play against another person.
I can play football*.
* football and tennis are ball sports;
How often do you play tennis*?
She doesn't like playing computer games**.
computer games are competitive game; we play to win;
If the sport ends in an "ing", we use GO. We GO somewhere or something.
I go swimming.
You are going fishing on Sunday.
Is he going skiing this winter?
If the sport is an exercise or we do it at a gym, we use DO. DO is used for a recreational activity or a non-team sports that does not use a ball.
I do yoga*.
* non-team activity
I heard that he does karate*.
She does crossword puzzles** in her free time.
** not competitive activity
Now try to choose the correct verb to complete each sentence:
1. I ______ martial arts at school. did/played/went
2. She ______ stretches at the gym. does/plays/goes
3. ______ chess is a good mental exercise. doing/playing/going
4. We ______ snowboarding yesterday. played/went/did
5. Has he ever ______ baseball? gone/went/played