niedziela, 3 marca 2013

Prepositions of Time: at, in, on

In English we use in before months, years, centuries and parts of the day:
  • in 1997           I was born in 1984.
  • in January          In England, it often snows in December.
  • in the 20th century          There should be a lot of progress in the next century.
  • in the morning          I usually meet my friends in the evening.
  • in the Ice Age          Mammoths became extinct in the Ice Age.
  • in the summer          
  • in the 1990s          
  • in the past/future          Do you think we will go to Jupiter in the future?


We use on before days or dates:

  • on Monday          We play tennis on Saturdays.
  • on 21st September          Her birthday is on 20th November.
  • on Monday morning         I learn German on Monday morning
  • on Christmas Day          In Poland we open presents on Christmas Eve.
  • on my birthday          
  • on New Year's Eve          Where will you be on New Year's Day?

We use at before time and a period of a few days:
  • at 4:00          I have a meeting at 9am.
  • at noon          He woke up at noon.
  • at bedtime          
  • at sunrise
  • at sunset
  • at mignight          The shop closes at midnight.
  • at lunchtime          Jane went home at lunchtime.
  • at the weekend        I'm going to my friend at the weekend. 
  • at the moment         I'm writing a letter at the moment. 
  • at Christmas (2-3 days)          We visit our family at Christmas.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz